1. The horse is getting old and cannot run ____ it did.
A. as faster as
B. so fast than
C. so faster as
D. as fast as
2. The students are ____ young people between the ages of sixteen and twenty.
D. at most
3.This year they have produced _____ grain____ they did last year.
A. as less, as
B. as few, as
C. less, than
D. fewer, than
4. ---- Can I help you?
---- Well, I'm afraid the box is ____ heavy for you, but thank you all the same.
5. ---- Excuse me, is this Mr Brown's office?
----I'm sorry, but Mr Brown____ works here. He left about three weeks ago.
A. not now
B. no more
C. not still
D. no longer
6. After the new technique was introduced, the factory produced ____ tractors in 1988 as the year before.
A. as twice many
B. as many twice
C. twice as many
D. twice many as
7. ----Will you give this message to Mr White, please?
----Sorry, I can't. He ____.
A. doesn't any more work here
B. doesn't any longer here work
C. doesn't work any more here
D. doesn't work here any longer
8. How ___ can you finish the drawing?
9. She doesn't speak ____ her friends, but her written work is excellent.
A. as well as
B. as often as
C. so much as
D. as good as
10. "Can you read?" Mary said ____ to the notice.
A. angrily pointing
B. and point angrily
C. angrily pointed
D. and angrily pointing
11. John plays football____, if not better than, David.
A. as well
B. as well as
C. so well
D. so well as
12. We all write____, even when there's not much to say.
A. now and then
B. by and by
C. step by step
D. more or less
13.----Do you remember ____he came?
---- Yes, I do, he came by car.
14. If we work with a strong will, we can overcome any difficulty, _______ great it is.
15. We decided not to climb the mountains because it was raining ____.
16. I walked 8 miles today. I never guessed that I could walk ______ far.
17. They _____ to our proposal.
A. have not still responded
B. have not responded still
C. have still not responded
D. still have not responded
18. True hibernation takes place only among ______ animals.
A. whose blood is warm
B. blood worm
D. they have warm blood
19. He works ______.
20. A _____ road goes ______ from our college to the center.
20. After living in Paris for fifty years he returned to the small town _____ he grew up as a child.
21. We'll have to finish the job,_____.
A. long it takes however
B. it takes however long
C. long however it takes
D. however long it takes
1. 答案是D. 同级比较的结构为 "as+ 副词原形+ as".
2. 答案是C. almost 意为 "几乎"、"差不多"，at most 意为 "至多"， 均与语意不合。most 意为"多数的"，mostly是副词，意为"主要地"、"大部分地"。
3. 答案是C. 答题的关键是要知道grain 为不可数名词。
4. 答案是D. 本题考查对基本句型的掌握。从表面上看，4个选项似乎都可以修饰形容词，而且从上下文中也很难找到提示。其实，命题者有意将题中to carry省略。如果能判断出其省略部分，便很容易想到too…for sb. to do 这个句型。
5. 答案是D。通过信息句"He left about three weeks ago." 可判断出空白处强调的是时间 "不再"。 no longer 常在句中强调时间，而no more 常强调数量和次数。
6. 答案是C. 表示倍数的词或其他程度副词作修饰语应放在as…as结构的前面。
7. 答案是D. no more与no longer 变为 not …any more 或not…any longer时，any more或any longer 要放在谓语动词后。
8. 答案是C。long 指一段时间，不能与终止性动词finish 连用；often指时间频度，即每隔一段时间发生一次动作；rapid 是形容词不能修饰动词。
9. 答案是A. 用 well修饰speak, as well as 为同级比较，与否定词not 连用，意为"不及……好"。
10. 答案是A. angrily pointing 为分词作状语，表示伴随情况。还应注意副词的位置。
11. 答案是B. 这是同级比较，全句可理解为John plays football as well as David, if he doesn't play better than David.
12. 答案是A. 从题干的 "even when there's not much to say" 这一信息句可知，空白处应为时间状语，而 now and then 正是时间状语，意为 "有时"、"不时地"。
13. 答案是A.. by car 是方式状语，所以疑问副词应是how.
14. 答案是C. however 是连接副词，修饰形容词great并引导出一个状语从句。
15. 答案是D."下大雨"应说 rain hard/heavily.
21. 答案是B. 关系副词where 引导出一个定语从句，修饰the small town.
22. 答案是D. however 是连接副词,引导出一个状语从句。